[Wine]Greetings from a Space Empires nut!

Edward Kolis koliset at fuse.net
Mon Feb 14 08:05:49 CST 2005

Hi everybody!
I'm a fan of Space Empires who just switched to Linux, and I've been
having some trouble with Space Empires and Wine.
For one thing, when I run Space Empires IV Gold, it works almost
flawlessly - thanks, I couldn't have switched to Linux without knowing I
could still play SE4 ;-) - but there's one little problem... when I alt-
tab or minimize the game and bring it back up again, the window becomes
really small and I have to quit the game and restart... Any way around
this, or at least to disable alt-tab and minimizing for this particular
game so I don't have to redo a whole turn (which can be long!) just by
hitting the wrong key? ;-)
Also, I've tried out Space Empires Starfury on Wine, but I can't get
past the main menu - when it tries to go to anything Direct3D-related,
it just crashes with an access violation. I even tried running it under
root, and that didn't help. Cedega didn't help either; I just got pretty
much the same problem. Starfury uses DirectX 7, so it *should* work
under Wine, right? I really hope SE5 runs under Wine; it's going to be
based on the Starfury graphics engine...
Thanks for your help!
-Ed