[Wine]Proper way of updating winetools?

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Mon Feb 21 11:47:51 CST 2005

Joachim von Thadden wrote:

> are you sure it does not tell you, "Wine has not been configured for
> this user yet"? It is complaining about your Wine setup, not your
> WineTools setup. If you have error messages, send them exact and
> correct, please. WineTools searches for the availability of the
> following program:
>
> "$WINEDIR/drive_c/windows/regedit.exe"
>
> where $WINEDIR is ~/.wine. If this program, which is a link to
> /usr/lib/wine/regedit.exe.so (or whereever you installed Wine to), is
> not there than you deleted it, did not use WineTools, or your setup is
> not common to WineTools. This might be the reason if you don't have
> drive_c as the C:\ entry. To solve this, create a symlink from your
> entry (probably just called c) to drive_c.

Sorry, Joachim, I had to quote from memory because, before writing up
the message, I had completely reinstalled wine and winetools. I thought
that the exact phrasing wouldn't be vital to make my point clear.

Nevertheless, I'll try to rephrase in hopefully more precise and
reproducable terms.

So what I did:
1. rpm -Uvh wine-20041201-1fc3winehq.i686.rpm
2. rpm -Uvh winetools-2.1.0-jo.i386.rpm
3. wt ((now of course as a non-root user))
4. Goto 'Base setup'
5. Create a fake Windows drive
6. True Type Font Arial
7. DCOM98
8. Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 German
9. Save your wine directory
10. exit
11. Manually install further sw, like irfanview ...

All installed software run as expected!
Now new winetools version 2.11 appears on the scene:
12. rpm -Uvh winetools-2.1.1-jo.i386.rpm

Installed sw still run als expected.

13. Starting winetools ('winetools') gives:
'Your config is not the one that comes with recent WineTools.'
'You should copy WineTools config.211 to .wine/config.'
'Shall I do that for you?'
Giving 'Yes' starts WineTools, and that's precisely where my question
comes in:

What are the nexts steps to take, and in which order, if I want to keep
my old (pre-2.11) installation with all installed software?

I have (at least) these choices:
14a. 'Base setup' first, then 'Restore your Wine directory'
14b. 'Restore your Wine directory', then 'Base setup'
14c. "Base setup' only
14d. 'Restore your Wine directory' only
14e. Exit winetools without doing anything further, restore old .wine
directory manually.

Thanks, Klaus