[Wine]Problems with Diablo II: Can install, but not play

Adam Aube aaube01 at baker.edu
Wed Feb 23 15:36:10 CST 2005

I am trying to play Diablo II v1.03 using Wine version 20041201 (the version
currently in Debian Unstable).

The game installs fine, but when I try to play it, it does not load.
Launching it in a terminal window under X, I see that Wine simply hangs -
after several minutes of waiting I terminate the program. Running it in
debug mode shows a lot of harmless noise, but no errors.

I have tried checking the list archives and Google, but the only detailed
solutions I have seen involve running a cracked version of the game (which
I don't want to do).

Has anyone gotten an uncracked Diablo II to work with Wine for single-player
mode only?

Adam