[Wine]Multiple game server lockup problem (solved)

saurian saurian at thelink.net
Thu Feb 24 20:27:16 CST 2005

Ive made a couple of posts in the past about this game in which I
was running multiple servers under 20031212 and after that each
wine version seemed to keep a second and third server from running
correctly. They would lock up and when I hit the X button the
"Not Responding, Close Anyway" dialog would pop up.

Well it turns out that something that wine did made ethernet port
checking allot more strict so it is not a problem with wine.

It turns out that the game server I was using (Descent 3) was
opening a port for gamespy to connect to even if I wasn't
listing the server with gamespy or a gamespy like tracker. So
the first server came up just fine and when the other servers
tried to start they were using the same port. (This port is used
by tracker engines like gamespy to get information about the
server). Thats why second and third servers were locking up.
As soon as I added the command line argument to each launcher
script to specify a different port for this purpose,
everything started working.

I'm once again a wine true believer. ^_^