[Wine]Yahoo messenger not starting

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Fri Feb 25 06:28:18 CST 2005

paras chhabra wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>     I have the linux version of Yahoo and gaim as well installed on
> linux. The facilities offered by windows version of the messenger are
> better.  If that can work and I can get the sound working it would be
> too good.
>     Sound is another problem that I am facing. Mine is an intel 865
> GBF motherboard with sound on board. A driver from ALSA has been
> installed to get the sound working on Linux. But sound doesnt work on
> Wine.
>      That brings me to a more basic question. Does sound work on wine?
> What are the requirements?
> Thanks,
> Paras

Yes, sound does work on Wine. It works best using the wineoss.drv driver.

This would require you to have ALSA OSS emulation enabled in your kernel
and the emulation modules loaded.

There is also an winealsa driver that you can uncomment in your config
(in that case you would re-comment wineoss.drv), but afaik, it is not as
complete as wineoss.drv.

Once you have that set up, normally sound just works. However, it's
possible that due to a couple of factors (you use KDE and the aRTS sound
server, you use the esd sound server, the program itself needs to be
configured to use the proper devices), you may have to do some
configuration yourself through the normal means (KDE Control Center or
other sound server configuration, the program's configuration).

Give it a try and see how far you get on your own; any questions, just ask.

HTH,

Holly