[Wine]Question about vidmode switching (WoW related)

Jason Stelzer wine at ElitistBastard.com
Mon Feb 28 07:12:16 CST 2005

Hello. Hopefully I didn't miss this in the archives, so here goes.

I've been running World of Warcraft in the CVS version of wine. The game
runs perfectly as far as I'm concerned. However, if I run the game at a
resolution lower than the desktop resolution it's not quite right. It
switches to a view port of the specified size rather than resizing the
whole desktop. this means I can mouse out of the game. It also means
there's a couple visual artifacts (I can see the top panel). Other games
(non-wine) seem to handle this fine, so I dont think its an X issue.
Obviously I could be wrong.

Screen shot of the viewport (keep in mind its resized, so you dont see the
edges unless you mouse out of the game)
http://www.neverlight.com/~cynic/WoWLinux.jpg

Now, if I change the desktop to the res that WoW is going to be running in
via the screen res tool. The game runs fine, but X crashes the 2nd time I
launch it in an X session. Here's the error which led me to believe it was
due to a vidmode problem:

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  135 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
  Value in failed request:  0x240028c
  Serial number of failed request:  2468

So is this a problem of me not having the correct X11 extension loaded? Or
is this simply a minor issue in the cvs version of wine? I'm not terribly
bothered by it, I was just wondering if anyone else ran into this and knew
a fix.

Thanks,

--
Jason Stelzer (wine at elitistbastard.com)

Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability
to accept what I can't and the incapacity to tell the difference.
-- Calvin