[Wine]Re: Warcraft 3 - "no program start menu found"

Wyllyam wyllyam at tiscali.fr
Mon Feb 28 01:35:32 CST 2005

FireWorm wrote:

>Hi Edward,
>	Now I am trying a hard disk version war3, and I also can't run the
>game. When I do "wine war3.exe", it asks for Warcraft III" cdkey; when I
>do "wine Frozen\ Throne.exe", it gives me two black windows, in one of
>them, there is a square and some chaos in that.
>	If there are someone enjoy the game on Linux, please share. :)
>
>FireWorm

Hi,
there lots of tips on the howto of Jesse Allen (and in the comments at
the bottom):
    http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=1177

 From my own experience:

For a NoCd patch, I use one from Amadeus. With this one, I got no
problem to launch the game if you have give CD-Key during the
installation process and no problem to go on Battle.net. ( If I remember
well, I found it on gamecopyworld.com )

Also, I suggest you to put in your ~/.wine/config (if you don't have
one, copy it from /usr/share/doc/wine-{version}/samples/ )
    [x11drv]
    ; Create the desktop window with a double-buffered visual
    ; (useful to play OpenGL games)
    "DesktopDoubleBuffered" = "Y"
and
    [dsound]
    ;; Forces emulation mode (using wave api)
    "HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"

And to launch the game don't forget to use opengl
    wine war3.exe -opengl

and if your video card don't support hardware TnL (as Radeon 7000), use
software TnL with:
    wine war3.exe -opengl -swtnl