[Wine]dlls - still a newbie

David L. Smith smithfamily at oswego.net
Sat Jan 1 03:03:40 CST 2005

I'm very confused as usual.

I have an NTFS/Linux dual boot. I usually run from kde.
If I understand correctly, wine, when it runs a program will
1. see it ask for a function in a dll
2. check up in the config file for that dll and note if native or built-in or
nothing has been noted.
3. from there, it will either use built-in, or native file in the order
written.

So, if I install and app, "blah", I need to:
1. Figure out all dlls that are needed.
2. Make sure that I have all those needed dlls in the .wine/.../windows/system
(but not sys32?) folder. If necessary, I need to dig it up from my winnt
directory and copy it over to the .wine directory.
3. Go to the config file and make sure that all the dlls are in it. If
necessary, say some of the dlls are built-in and others are native for this
app. I figure this last part has some points that I'm missing right now, but
I need to get the main points straight.
4. If not in the config file, I need to add them in. I'm fairly sure I won't
need to ever add a built-in dll, but will need to add some of the native
files.

What if the dll resides in the Program Files folder? I believe I still have to
put it into the config file.

Right now, most of the apps that I have attempted to install are:
1. Failed attempts. Dies dead on install.
2. Installed or failed in installed and got working anyhow but with major
problems that render them unusable.
3. Success or partial success but with later problems coming up that renders
them unusable. One of this last worked partially in gnome as it used to in
kde. It now comes up in kde as a maximized as a very small window and then
dies.

By the way, I downloaded winetools, but I don't want to use any of the
programs that it is supposed to set up. Neither do I know what that bit about
the base directory means and see no reason for having one if I won't be using
any of the other programs. Am I missing even more than I suspect?

blessings,
David L. Smith