[Wine]dlls - still a newbie

David L. Smith smithfamily at oswego.net
Sat Jan 1 07:03:09 CST 2005

On Saturday 01 January 2005 03:44, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Most of the DLLs that Wine uses are stored in a global shared directory
> for the system, and not in the fake windows drive Wine creates.  If Wine
> can't find them locally,
Please define locally. Hmmm. For that matter, could you define "global
shared"?
"Global shared" calls to my mind a directory that all wine apps can use, but
that is what the fake windows drive is on real windows (I think). So you seem
to be saying that the fake system directory is not being used. That aside,
both are local - that is, not on a network. You may be saying that wine is
looking first in neither, but rather the built-ins internal to it, I guess,
when you imply that Wine looks locally. Or are the built-ins in the global
shared directory and that is local?

> Wine will look in its own folder.
Which is the global shared, the fake windows drive, or something else?

> Simply try
> installing and running the app without doing anything special before
> mucking around with non-Wine DLLs.
Yep. And the score is one app that seemed to work the only time I have tried
it. Considering my experience with the few others that I have tried, I really
ought to use it a couple more times before assuming it will work.

The implication of what you say seems that the installation of an app
automatically adds the dlls to the config file. Or maybe the implication is
that they *don't* add the dlls to the config file. If the last, then why
should I read about the dlls in the manual about the config file? Therefore
the first statement must be true.
Or is all this a case of thinking too hard?

However, thanks for the good help.

blessings,
David L. Smith