[Wine]dlls - still a newbie

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Sun Jan 2 12:15:31 CST 2005

Am So, Jan 02, 2005 at 05:54:55 -0600 schrieb David L. Smith:
> managed not to stop the download (one and a half hours if my guess at the
> German was correct).

There is now an english download option available in WineTools 2.0.9.

> Later ran install again and somehow pressed the right
> buttons and it worked. Assuming that message box shuts off the wineserver &
> installation if one presses the okay button, why not add "don't click 'okay'
> if the installation is in a long download."

It is changed in the new WineTools 2.0.9. Thanks for the hint.

> And for the second growl, I don't want to hurt your feelings, sir, but putting
> IE on my linux feels like giving someone AIDS to cure their allergies. I did
> it, but I'll be looking over my shoulder a lot.

Yes, I can understand that!!! But it's good for some sites that don't
work with other browsers, for testing and because of the DLLs it brings
with. But as with DCOM98 it has one disadvantage: You have to have a
windows copy to use it! Well, as you get one with every PC and Laptop
you buy, I for myself have three different ones in stock, so this should
not be a problem.

> Finally, I was not able to run another install. pstree shows a sleeping
> wine-preloader, which winetools marked as defunct but wouldn't kill it. I
> cannot kill the thing. Gave it kill 15, 9 and waved a clove of garlic but it
> still wouldn't go away. Winetools wouldn't kill it either. (Not blaming
> wineTools - assuming wine had the problem)

Yes. This is a known problem with wine. You are likely to get defunctioning
wine processes after a few hours of playing with wine.

> 4. Don't worry about it?

That's it.

Regards
	Joachim