[Wine]dlls continued

David L. Smith smithfamily at oswego.net
Mon Jan 3 21:29:34 CST 2005

I installed another app, but it wouldn't run until I moved Mfc40.dll into the
system folder. I didn't change the config file, but the app now works.

Tempting a mental breakdown, I then installed another app, but got these
messages during the installation:
"Setup is registering installed files" in one msg dialog, and:
MHCMB032.OCX
MHLABL32.OCX
MHLIST32.OCX
MHTEXT32.OCX
SS32X25.OCX
"failed to self register" in another.

the app is InfoHarvest Criterium DecisionPlus, (student version) btw.

After the installation finished, It tried to run itself and failed, so I ran
it directly from a terminal. It came up lame, but in the terminal it said
that it was missing MFC40.DLL (yes, same name as above in the windows no case
world) and MHRUN32.dll
So I added the first, but couldn't find the second.
Running it, gave me a stack overflow, so, since I did find Mhrun32.dll, I
moved it over and changed its name to all upper case. This time:

many of the following line, which is about what overflowed last try
err:syslevel:_CheckNotSysLevel Holding lock 0x408891e0 level 3

then:
wine: Unhandled exception (thread 003b), starting debugger...
WineDbg starting on pid 0x3a
In 32 bit mode.
0x403730b7 _CheckNotSysLevel+0x43
[/home/david/wine-20041201/dlls/kernel/../../include/winternl.h:1283] in
kernel32: jmp        0x40373096 _CheckNotSysLevel+0x22
[/home/david/wine-20041201/dlls/kernel/syslevel.c:183] in kernel32
1283    static inline void WINAPI DbgBreakPoint(void) { __asm__
__volatile__("int3"); }
Wine-dbg>

then when I tried to copy that, <sob> habit bit.
Ctrl-C: stopping debuggee
err:seh:setup_exception nested exception on signal stack in thread 003b eip
ffffe000 esp 40018c28 stack 0x40610000-0x40710000

Questions:
1. Should I take a step back and throw out the dlls I moved to the system
folder, or should I add the dlls to config? Yes, I know that I'm not supposed
to worry about dlls, but what else should I have done with the first one?
2. What did that original message indicate? That is, the one about not self
registering.
3. Can I use a link to get a bunch of differently CAsEd dlls to point to one?
Or is there a Better way?
4. Dependency Walker would help me in windows, but I'm still not sure what to
do if a dependency is missing in a wine session. Anything?
5. Which question(s) did I miss?

--
blessings
David L. Smith