[Wine]I can almost feel Civilization 3 running

The MCP ejkeever at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 4 16:09:27 CST 2005

But not quite. If I could just get past the sound, I think it might
start and run.

I'm running Wine in desktop display mode, emulating win98. comdlg32,
shell32, shlwapi, and '*' are set to "native, builtin" while the rest of
the DLLs that the default installation names are builtin, native.

I've tried running it with 'winedbg --gdb civilization3', and it always
hangs when it tries to start sound (Now would be a good time to mention
that the sound when I run in Win98 sounds like it's having an epileptic
seizure).

It starts out loading ntdll, kernel32, advapi, gdi32, user32, crtdll,
glu32, dciman32, opengl32, winmm, shlwapi, comctl32, shell32, comdlg32,
and x11drv, in that order, all from C:\windows\system, without errors
beyond complaining about not having a .dbg file available. Then it gets
a GDI error, a packet error, and implodes, here with the sound driver
set to JACK:

0000000a:0000000b: loads DLL C:\windows\system\imm32.dll @bfe20000
(0<0>)
Please use the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts\LogPixels
to set the screen resolution and remove the "Resolution" entry in the
config file
0000000a:0000000c: create thread D @404fe600
fixme:gdi:Escape16 unknown/unsupported 16-bit escape c03
(56,0x40370f86,0x40370fce
fixme:gdi:Escape16 unknown/unsupported 16-bit escape c03
(56,0x40370f86,0x40370fce
0000000a:0000000b: loads DLL C:\windows\system\winejack.drv @41350000
(0<0>)
0000000a:0000000b: unload DLL @41350000
0000000a:0000000b: loads DLL C:\windows\system\wineoss.drv @41350000
(0<0>)
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
0000000a:0000000b: exception code=0x80000003
[New Thread 11]
[Switching to Thread 11]
0x404e750f in ?? ()
trace: 98 => 80
Wine-gdb> Quit

I've got this feeling that if I could just tell it 'NO SOUND' it would
run, albeit quietly. I've tried editing ~/.wine/config and setting the
sound drivers to null, to no avail: Apparently it still insists on
having a sound API there, goes for wineoss, and crashes.

When I try telling to use wineoss it throws this out:
0000000a:0000000b: loads DLL C:\windows\system\imm32.dll @bfe20000
(0<0>)
Please use the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts\LogPixels
to set the screen resolution and remove the "Resolution" entry in the
config file
0000000a:0000000c: create thread D @404fe600
fixme:gdi:Escape16 unknown/unsupported 16-bit escape c03
(56,0x40370f86,0x40370fce
fixme:gdi:Escape16 unknown/unsupported 16-bit escape c03
(56,0x40370f86,0x40370fce
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
0000000a:0000000b: loads DLL C:\windows\system\wineoss.drv @41350000
(0<0>)
0000000a:0000000b: exception code=0x80000003
Couldn't establish connection to remote target
Malformed response to offset query, OK
(gdb) *sigh* quit

Might the problem be in GDI instead? Thanks in advance for your help!