[Wine]minor disaster

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Wed Jan 5 16:57:27 CST 2005

Am Mi, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:30:02 -0600 schrieb David L. Smith:
> Somehow my .config ended up with zero bytes. The only things I can think of
> happening is looking at it in WineTools, and perhaps failing to install a
> program. Any ideas? The last time it had something in it was yesterday when I
> looked at it in WineTools, then this morning it had nothing in it. But I
> don't remember if it was before or after trying to install something. I just
> thought that wt was messed up, and had to go somewhere else. How do I get a
> dead config file back (includes the backup, btw) without reinstalling
> something?
> Oh, and I added a bunch of drives in dosdevices. I noticed that the d: drive
> was flashing red at the time, but do not know what that means.

Depens on how long it happened. Could be your system was doing something
like updatedb.

> 1. What did I do wrong.

There are only three parts where WineTools touches your config: When you
add printcap printers it adds something. When you install IE6 it moves
the actual config away to .wine/config.$$ where $$ is the process id of
the running process. While installing Typograf FontManagement I add
something to it. I never delete it. But for sure if you edit it you
can delete it by setting the contents to zero.

> 2. What do I do now?

cp /usr/local/winetools/config.new ~/.wine

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"