[Wine]General comment s on Wine/WineTools - how does a new user setup Wine the very first time?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 10:50:25 CST 2005

Hi,
   I've been messing with Wine and WineTools off and on for a couple
of days now. In general I can certainly see the bright future out
there, but so far it eludes me.  I've used various versions of Wine
successfully before, but with recent Wine I'm having little luck. I'm
on an FC2 machine with a custom kernel but can switch to Gentoo if
required. I've tried both wine-20041019 and wine-20041201 with
identical results.

   I'm hoping that a Wine guru somewhere can lead me in the right direction.

1) If I have a user's account that has never run Wine before then what
is the proper way to run Wine the very first time. Assume that the
user has no .wine directory and that Wine was just built in some
subdirectory from source. I've been using one of the following 3
commands to get the .wine directory built:

wine --version
wine notepad
wine regedit

All three commands seem to get .wine built, but is this the right way
to start? I'm never sure what to do with wineinstall as it seems to
want to build code which isn't appropriate for all user accounts.

2) WineTools won't install IE6 so far no matter what I try. It always
hangs somewhere in the middle of downloading or installing IE6.
However, outside of WineTools I can execute the same IE6 setup program
and it works correctly. I fear it has somethign to do with the two
commands that WineTools requires for setting up links where the second
command didn't work for me.

   Hopefully someone can answer these questions in the next day or two
and I can try again from scratch. If there are any other hidden
directories or files that need to be set up or removed before I retry,
please let me know. All I see today are the .wine directory and a
winetools log file.

   I'd really like to make this work.

thanks,
Mark