[Wine]General comment s on Wine/WineTools - how does a new user setup Wine the very first time?

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Thu Jan 6 14:00:14 CST 2005

Am Do, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:34:28 -0800 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> This is true for newer versions of Wine that we should concentrate on.
> I am using source code since I have a custom kernel. I'm not that
> knowledgable about this part of Linux but it is my understanding that
> when you are not using the Fedora supplied kernel that it's best to
> build from source. Other people here have suggested it's better to
> build from source anyway. I don't know so I (try) to do what I'm told.

There are several kernels for Fedora, too and just one prebuild wine for
all of them. The compiler seems more important than the kernel. You can
use it with your custom kernel also. Perhaps anyone on the list can tell
me why a selfcompiled version should be better?

> What *version* of Wine are you using now? 1201? 1019? Something else?

I personally use 1019 because there are some drawbacks with 1201 in IE
(e.g. the buttons might have no icons). But I tested with 1201 also.

> In this case all of Base setup worked.

Great!

> Today IE6 setup worked by running WineTools without any previous wine
> setup. (Or it just liked running today.)

Very good, so far.

> Appears that self compiled is fine. (At least so far.)

Good to know, thanks for the test!

> Now, I want to head toward trying to install Autocad 2005. What other
> portion of WineTools do you think I should install before trying that?

No, I think you can now just try it. I am definitely interested in your
results for including new software in WineTools.

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"