[Wine]WineTools 2.0.8 released

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:48:03 CST 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 18:59:21 +0100, Joachim von Thadden <thadden at web.de> wrote:
> Am Sa, Jan 01, 2005 at 02:14:09 -0800 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > This is interesting to me. I want to use WineTools to set up a Wine
> > environment to try Autocad 2005 in. Autocad 2005 needs to be run under
> > XP. Has anyone tried changing the config file to XP as part of the
> > WineTools install process?
>
> You can add a section for Autocad that has the windows version:
>
> [AppDefaults\\autocad.exe\\Version]
> "Windows" = "winxp"
>
> But you can also try it with the config like it is. It's worth the test.

Hi. Trying this part out now. First I tried the default config as
created by WineTools. That didn't work. The Autocad install program
(Setup.exe) failed due to the wrong OS being reported.  I tried
putting the above stub in my config file but that didn't work since
the install program is called setup.exe, so I decided that (hopefully)
for just the install portion I could switch the reported OS version to
XP and start the install. That works, but then the install fails
telling me it cannot find Microsoft install stuff.

At this point I switched back to win98 version, and using WineTools
installed just the Windows Installer from the Windows System Software
menu. That went fine. Then, back to XP once more and tried the
installation again. This time I got further:

[mark at Godzilla cdrom]$ wine setup.exe
[mark at Godzilla cdrom]$ fixme:mmtime:timeBeginPeriod Stub; we set our
timer resol ution at minimum
fixme:mmtime:timeBeginPeriod Stub; we set our timer resolution at minimum
fixme:mmtime:timeBeginPeriod Stub; we set our timer resolution at minimum
fixme:ntdll:RtlImpersonateSelf (00000002), stub
fixme:ntdll:NtAccessCheck (0x4eb16f70, 0x40, 00000001, 0x4e7af718,
0x4e7af6f4, 0 x4e7af728, 0x4e7af708, 0x4e7af72c), stub
fixme:advapi:RevertToSelf (), stub
fixme:thread:NtSetInformationThread Set ThreadImpersonationToken handle to (nil)
fixme:thread:NtSetInformationThread Set ThreadImpersonationToken handle to 0x44
fixme:ver:RtlVerifyVersionInfo (0x4e7af5fc,64,180000): Not all cases
correctly i mplemented yet
An error occurred while Windows Installer was initializing. Setup will
now close .fixme:thread:NtSetInformationThread Set
ThreadImpersonationToken handle to (nil )
fixme:thread:NtSetInformationThread Set ThreadImpersonationToken handle to 0x48
fixme:ntdll:NtAdjustPrivilegesToken
(0x9c,0x00000000,0x7fc4e660,0x00000000,(nil) ,(nil)),stub!
fixme:ntdll:NtAdjustPrivilegesToken
(0x9c,0x00000000,0x7fc4e660,0x00000000,(nil) ,(nil)),stub!
fixme:mmtime:timeBeginPeriod Stub; we set our timer resolution at minimum
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW (L"",L"MsiInstaller"): stub
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0x1): stub
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if
you are r unning Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is
not correctly instal led. Contact your support personnel for
assistance.
[mark at Godzilla cdrom]$

I don't know what to look for. Is the line above MsiInstaller
referring to a file that's missing or a system function that's
missing? I do not have a file by that name:

[root at Godzilla root]# updatedb
[root at Godzilla root]# slocate MsiInstaller
[root at Godzilla root]#

So, these results move me forward quite a bit, but still there are
problems. Any ideas about how to get around them greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark