[Wine]Virus Question

Joris Huizer jorishuizer at planet.nl
Wed Jan 26 16:20:06 CST 2005

½Bî¶ §ºµth£Ñ½ wrote:
> Hi, the Wine program seems great.  I run Eudora in WinXP, and this
> program will enable me to run Eudora in Fedora 3 and use the same
> mailboxes via Captive-NTFS - and so I will always have my email up-to-date.
>
> I have one big concern: viruses.  Is it possible for me to get infected
> with a virus using Wine?  If I got infected, how well could the virus
> infect my system?  Meaning, I plan to install Captive-NTFS , so if I
> have a virus, could it write to relevent Windows files etc. on my
> mounted NTFS partition?  If I get a virus, how easy would it be to clean
> it - could I just run like AVG or something and that would take care of it?
>
> (I'm still getting used to Linux!)
>
> Thanks a ton!!

It really depends - if the virus uses a kernel issue changes are small
it'll work on Wine (as the change of having exactly the same mistake in
both windows kernel code and wine code is, well, small ;)) - but if it's
using bugs of the program being run than it might work just the same as
on a real windows environment.
Using a fake windows directory is encouraged as Wine might otherwise
have troubled with windows registeries being filled with unknown trash;
also by using one or multiple fake windows directories, you can avoid
loosing any real information caused by virus activity - then, if you got
infected, you'd just remove the infected directories and grab the fresh copy