[Wine]WinNY and Wine

Isaac Rabicoff irabicoff at kc.rr.com
Wed Jul 13 00:03:19 CDT 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to run Winny2b71 with wine-20050111-r1 on 2005.0 Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.6.11 r11 (I thought the version info might be helpful). The result is nothing-- no error message, nothing loads, nothing flashes. I have the program installed in /root/.wine/Apps/Winny2, and I use the appropriate ' wine "[path]" ' command to execute the program.

I'm using the example/default config setup with the following addition at the bottom:

[AppDefaults\\Winny.exe\\dlloverrides]
"oleacc" = "native"
"comctl32" = "native"

(of course, I have these dlls in my /windows/system folder)
This is what was recommended on the only site I could find that had information about WinNY emulation on wine: http://www.2chlinux.org/pukiwiki.php?%5B%5BWine%A4%CE%A5%A4%A5%F3%A5%B9%A5%C8%A1%BC%A5%EB%5D%5D
(this site is in Japanese, which I can understand because I'm a Japanese language student, but google's site translation also works fairly well if you wish to look at it). I could find only one forum post about this topic here: http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=7afd51c8592076865f239f2915039a13&showtopic=18665

Also from what I read, wine will need to have a font that has support for Japanese so I can use WinNY (assuming I'll be able to get it working). I have fonts with asian language support, but they're for linux and I'm not sure if they'd work with wine. Could anyone suggest I Japanese font for wine?

I doubt many people from the linux community would have a use for this native Japanese p2p program, but I thought it was worth asking. Perhaps someone could at least help me understand why I would receive no response at all after attempting to run it with wine.

Any assistance would by greatly appreciated.
- Ray