[Wine]Do I need to defile my machine, or is there a simple work-around

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Thu Jul 14 07:44:45 CDT 2005

I am trying to install Microchip's MPLab package (a set of tools for
working with PIC microcontrollers) with the latest Wine from CVS (at
least, latest as of yesterday morning).

I've been running Wine for a while, so I already have an existing Wine
registry. I don't have a Windows install on the machine.

The installer (InstallShield) unpacks, runs, and then pops up a dialog
"Internet Explorer 5 or later must be installed". When the dialog is
acknowledged, the installer exits.

I'm wondering - do I need to defile my machine with IE5, or is this just
a matter of missing registry entries for DLLs that Wine provides?

I noticed that there is no longer a default registry file in the Wine
source tree to be installed when Wine is set up - so the question in my
mind is "How are the initial registry entries set up now?"

For those interested - MPLab is a free download:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MP720_Full.zip