[Wine]Re: WINE and localhost IP

Rein Klazes wijn at wanadoo.nl
Thu Mar 3 03:16:02 CST 2005

> > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:39:19 +0100 (MET), in
> > gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user you wrote:

> Thanks Rein for your response.  At first I did not want to agree with your
> proposals, but you seem to have a point!  What I meant was that all normal
> services, even my NFS is working under Linux and under WINE ftp etc. is
> working.
>
> Concerning your suggestions:
>
> host khazad
>
> where khazad is the hostname, gives:
>
> [root at khazad fermier]# host khazad
> ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 127.0.0.1, trying next server
> Host khazad not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> So, I guess there is something broken that I never thought was broken!  Any
> suggestions?

You must fix it if your program is trying to do exactly the same thing.

I already suggested, either:
1. the /etc/hosts file solution, see also below;
2. set up a DNS server, and make it so that the DHCP server passes the
assigned IP addresses to it.

> I can of course configure the whole setup to work off fixed
> IP, but I am not sure whether this will really solve the problem....
>
> There does not seem to be an equivalent under WINE, at least not any that I
> could find.
>
> I have already tried your other proposal earlier, before you suggested it.
> I tried the following two /etc/hosts files:
>
> 192.168.0.2             khazad.tele2.fr khazad localhost
> 192.168.0.4             falahmizar.tele2.fr falahmizar falahmizar
>
> 127.0.0.1               khazad.tele2.fr khazad localhost
> 192.168.0.4             falahmizar.tele2.fr falahmizar falahmizar

Those are not what you want. Try this:

 127.0.0.1               localhost
 192.168.0.2             khazad.tele2.fr khazad
 192.168.0.4             falahmizar.tele2.fr falahmizar falahmizar

in the /etc/hosts file. And then the command "host khazad"

(and I would still to know the output of the command "hostname")

> where falahmizar is another Linux box serving as an NFS server and the DHCP
> always gives khazad the IP 192.168.0.2 (There are only the two PC's on the
> network.).  Neither of these two seemed to provide a working solution.  I
> presume the program under WINE is always getting the IP 127.0.0.1 and this
> is the IP that it finds unacceptable.

I expect wine is doing the equivalent of "host khazad" command. You can
try to debug this by starting wine like: "WINEDEBUG=+winsock wine ..."
(fill in the dots with your prog +arguments).
Search through the output for "gethostbyname" and "gethostname".

Since I am only trying to do educated guesses, that may not do what is
expected. Another possibility would be to try finding out what registry
keys are being searched for. "WINEDEBUG=+reg" selects the registry
debugging output.

> I have not found a solution to my problem yet, but I notice other WINE users
> suffered from the same problem back in 2003 and even in 2002, but in these
> threads there was never a suggested solution.  I was hoping that by now
> someone has found a solution...

I think that the solution then was the same as now, fix the networking
under Linux. And, yes, that is not a nice situation. But nobody has even
come up with an idea how to change that within Wine.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes
rklazes at xs4all.nl