[Wine]Can't get things running

wine wine at dunc-it.com
Fri Mar 4 09:03:42 CST 2005

Hiji wrote:

>>does - is there anyway
>>to get either of these apps running in Wine?  Thanks
>>in advance,
>>

>Hi Dunc,
>
>I think you're using Wine in an incorrect way.  You
>need to use REAL DLLs ... not the Wine DLL
>equivalents.  You should read up on Wine a bit more
>regarding how it is configured:
>http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/config-wine-main
>
>Also, you should see if your apps are listed in the
>database.  If they are, you can see what people did to
>get them working, or if they had no luck making them
>work:
>http://appdb.winehq.org

While I do have licensed copies of just about all versions of Windows I
see this in the Wine documentation that you pointed me to:  "A major
goal of Wine is to allow users to run Windows programs without having to
install Windows on their machine. Wine implements the functionality of
the main DLLs usually provided with Windows. Therefore, once Wine is
finished, you will not need to have Windows installed to use Wine."

That being said / read I was able to get my first application (Cadkit or
Ckpp.exe) running by copying the real Windows 2K ddeml.dll into the
system directory.  The other application (KOPS.exe) still isn't
co-operating with Wine, nor is it complaining about any specific file
that I can copy into my Wine directory to help make things better.  It's
still saying:  "fixme:actctx:CreateActCtxW stub", followed by a whole
mess of "err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap (nil)!" messages.  Does
anyone know what Wine is trying to tell me and how I might go about
overcoming the problem?  Thanks,

Dunc