[Wine]wine/conf file - how to access COM port for modem

Scott Gillespie valindar at bur.st
Sun Mar 13 18:51:52 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 06:25:49PM +0000, Andy Allen wrote:
> Help please,
> Adding "COM4:"="/dev/ttyS0" to wine/conf file doesn't seem to do the
> trick - comms program installed in wine still says "communication port
> cannot be opened" - any ideas on how to access the modem please?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Possibly, this is a permissions issue.
I'm using Slackware (10) and my /dev/ttyS0 -> vc/0, is owned by me -
which I presumably did a while ago... It is by default owned by root:tty
I believe.

If you're /dev/ttyS0 has the group 'tty', place yourself in that group.
(edit /etc/group and put your name next to the tty group, comma
seperated if there already is a name - There's a more simple way using a
command, however I've forgotten it). Make sure you logout and in again
and group 'groups' to make sure you're in tty.

If it's not owned by tty, but another group (apart from 'root') add
yourself to that instead, or change (creating if need be) it to tty and
do the above. You should probably stick with what your distro uses,
however.

Now you should be able to use the port - and all the others for that
matter.

Regards,
Scott