[Wine]libwine-alsa, etc. still relevant?

Roman Stöckl-Schmidt roman at stoeckl-schmidt.de
Mon Mar 14 10:21:58 CST 2005

David Baron schrieb:

>This came up before when debian upgrade wanted to remove these because of
>their being the previous version. Now all the version numbers are consistant.
>Deborphan lists them as orphans--no longer used!
>
>So ... are all these provided in the "main" wine library and these packages
>actually orphans? If so, why are they still around? If not, what is going on?
>
>Packages are from the wine.sourceforge.net locations instucted on the winehq
>site.

Dear David!
As I've been trying to tell you before this is a problem of having the
same package names for different packages, one the one hand those from
the repositories on any debian mirror, and on the other hand those from
wine.sourceforge.net, more precisely you probably have this line //deb
http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/// in your sources.list (as is
instructed at http://www.winehq.com/site/download-deb).
If you just look at the contents of this directory in your browser you
will see something like this:

  Index of /apt/binary

      Name <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/?N=D>                    Last modified <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/?M=A>       Size <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/?S=A>  Description <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/?D=A>

[DIR] Parent Directory <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/>        11-Feb-2005 03:16      -
[CMP] Packages.gz <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/Packages.gz>             11-Mar-2005 15:46     1k  GZIP compressed docume>
[   ] Release <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/Release>                 11-Mar-2005 15:44     1k
[   ] libwine-dev_0.0.2005..> <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/libwine-dev_0.0.20050310-1_all.deb> 11-Mar-2005 15:43     1k
[   ] libwine_0.0.20050310..> <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/libwine_0.0.20050310-1_all.deb> 11-Mar-2005 15:43     1k
[   ] wine-dev_0.0.2005031..> <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/wine-dev_0.0.20050310-1_i386.deb> 11-Mar-2005 15:46   2.2M
[   ] wine_0.0.20050310-1_..> <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/wine_0.0.20050310-1_i386.deb> 11-Mar-2005 15:43  13.7M
[   ] winetools_2.1.1-1_al..> <http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/binary/winetools_2.1.1-1_all.deb> 11-Mar-2005 15:43   373k

Apache/1.3.33 Server at wine.sourceforge.net Port 80

Now if you just compare these filesizes with the ones from the debian
repositories, e.g. libwine 11268.8 kB, libwine-dev 2438.6 kB, wine
1244.8 kB; you will see that the contens of any package from winehq and
debian are totally different. For example since libwine and libwine-dev
from wine.sourceforge.net are both only 1 k in size I guess they're just
dummy packages that the wine and wine-dev (which doesn't even exists in
the debian repositories) depend on.

So you have to decide wether you want these packages from sourceforge in
which case you should pinpoint them in aptitude, because I'm almost
certain you have an etnry for a debian mirror in your sources.list. If
you don't want to have the version from a debian mirror, only the
packages listed above are needed because the functionality provided by
libwine-cups, libwine-alsa, etc. from the debian repository should all
be included in the package wine from wine.sourceforge.net. They are only
split into separate packages on in the debian repository for convenience
so you don't have to have libwine-cups installed if you're not running
cups or libwine-alsa if you're not running alsa.

However if you want the version from a debian mirror (because it is
thoroughly tested and packaged especially for maximum debian
compatibility by a debian package maintainer) you should remove the line
with wine.sourceforge.net from your sources.list and optionally compile
the most recent version from winehq from source if you also want to have
the most recent version for testing purposes.

I hope I've gotten the message across this time and if I'm just not
understanding your question please forgive me.

Shouts., Roman.