[Wine]Re: Program Crashes on Startup

Rein Klazes wijn at wanadoo.nl
Thu Mar 24 13:30:40 CST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:26:41 -0600, you wrote:

> Rein Klazes wrote:
> >
> > OK, I did not realize that it happens that early ( I get the main window
> > here ).
> >
> > Your trace begins with the program looking for a file
> > "WeatherScopePrefs.xml". Here it finds that file in
> > "C:\Windows\Application Data\", this path is found in the registry
> > value:
> > HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell
> > Folders\\AppData.
> >

> Ok, adding this key fixes the problem, and allows me to get the main
> window.  Off a fresh install of wine 20050310, I don't have this key,
> nor is it present after installing WeatherScope.  Why do you have this
> key and I don't?

As I understand it, these keys should be generated automatically when
first used. That is, if used through the proper functions like
SHGetFolderPath. Programs like this, that do the registry lookup
themselves will have to cope with that. In my case I have tested
hundreds of windows programs, likely that one of them made this key to
be created.

> Now that I have a windows, I can see a whole slew of issues with the
> program, and I'll start running them down.  Should this start a separate
> thread?

Start a new thread.

Rein.