[Wine]Re: Start Windows application from another windows application

Rein Klazes wijn at wanadoo.nl
Thu May 19 13:36:40 CDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:56:01 +0200 (MEST), in
gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user you wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Being a little (completely) fed-up with windows, I'd like to make a complete switch to Linux, which I already use for about 90%. I still use a specific panorama photo stiching program within WinXP called PTGui.
> The PTGui program runs fine within Wine. However, PTgui knows/uses two "helper" programs called autopano(.exe) and enblend(.exe). Both are console based executables doing calculations for ptgui.
> PTGui has the option to call them from within PTGui. After the (external) program (for example autopano) has run, the output is somehow picked up and used within ptgui.
> The same works for enblend.
>
> This combination of programs doesn't work in wine. I don't even think they get started as normally (in windows) a textbased cmd windows pops up and shows the "activity". When finished the text based cmd window closes and the output is returned to PTGui.
> So in short: how can I start a second windows (text based) program from the first (GUI) program in Wine ?

This kind of arrangement works with some other applications. If you want
to find out why it does not for yours, it must be debugged.

First:
- You did not specify the wine version. Make sure you have the latest
wine;
- if you start wine from a terminal, are there any messages when trying
to run a helper prog?
- did you try to use ps to find if the helper prog was started?
( "ps -ax|grep wine" )

If that does not give any clues, as a next step I would do a:

WINEDEBUG=+process,+exec wine PTgui.exe

and see if that gives further insights.

> Note: I also tried to use the linux ports/versions of the autopano tool and enblend tool, but that did not succeed either. Maybe because I'm to new to the subject. If anyone of you know how I can combine these versions instead of the windows versions, I would be very happy too.

Is there a (demo) version of that program somewhere available?

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes
rklazes at xs4all.nl