[Wine]Re: Windows clipboard to Linux clipboard?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun May 29 12:47:59 CDT 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 02:46:54PM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:02:52 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> > How do I get some graphics data from the Windows clipboard to the X
> > (Linux) clipboard?
> >
> > The on-line docs and wiki are silent on this question.
>
> We probably need to change Wine so that we convert the format Windows
> programs use to store image data on the clipboard to the formats that
> Linux programs can understand. Usually Win32 programs paste as BMP, but
> this is a Win32 specific format. Linux apps usually expect PNG or JPEG.

Ah, makes sense. ImageMagick would do nicely. Or, easier to code, more
flexible, but a bit kludgy: save it as a file in .bmp & let the user
convert it.

A more general problem is getting Windows specific formats into linux
apps. E.g. if I recall correctly, formatted text goes into the
Windows clipboard as RTF. A flat file that maps Windows format to
Linux format, and provides the command line and any options to do the
conversion would be a nice user configurable way to handle it.

In the present case:

.bmp	.png	/usr/local/bmp2png

where bmp2png is a shell script wrapper to play games with the
extension and run the conversion.

Would it be possible to keep the Windows format in the Wine clipboard
and deliver the converted format to the X clipboard?

Thanks.