[Wine] Re: Compilation errors while building wine-20050930

Ron Jensen ron at jentronics.com
Sat Oct 1 22:22:06 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 12:02 -0700, Duane Clark wrote:
> Ron Jensen wrote:
> > Always 'make clean' before pulling from the cvs. [2]
> >

> Yikes, that is not really necessary, and will result in wasting a lot of
> time and CPU cycles. I've been compiling Wine from CVS regularly for
> more than 5 years, and it is rare that a make clean is required. And in
> this case, it would not have fixed the problem anyway.

Yes, it does make the build take longer, however, if the makefiles are
altered it's too late to make clean _after_ the cvs update.  This is at
least the second time I know of this year when dirty trees caused build
failures.  If you really wanted to save the build time you could monitor
the CVS commits on the CVS mailing list and only make clean before a CVS
update if the makefiles were changed.

The other suggestion to this error was to delete the entire tree and
pull an new CVS down from the net.  Now that is a waste of resources,
but it would have solved the instant problem.