[Wine] Seagate floppy creator program doesnt work

James E. LaBarre jamesl at bestweb.net
Sun Oct 2 21:41:26 CDT 2005

Malte Gell wrote:
> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/download/seatoold_en.exe
>
> Seagate offers a Windows executable (needs Win98 or better, 1,9MB) that
> should create 2 bootable floppy disks that contain a harddrive check
> program.
>
> Invoking "wine seatoold_en.exe" works, but when the floppy should be
> written, an error occurs "insert 1.44 MB...click retry". I tried to
> mount a DOS formatted disk to /media/floppy and tried without mounting,
> it does not work.

Just as an aside (this doesn't solve your particular problem, I know),
you should also email Seagate Customer Service (and CC the sales
department), and politely remind them that not everyone is using
Windows, and that they should take that into consideration before
providing some boneheaded Windows diskmaker tool as the only option (I'm
presuming you're not using SCSI or Fibre Channel, which they do have a
Linux command line tool for).

I usually suggest sending this sort of thing tro sales as well, as they
may realize the potential for lost sales.