[Wine] Three simple problems with wine under SuSe 9.3

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Wed Oct 5 08:08:58 CDT 2005

phil lemelin schreef:

> On 10/5/05, Holly Bostick <motub at planet.nl> wrote:
>
>> phil lemelin schreef:

>>> For the point #1 Did you tried without the "" and the path would
>>> more look like $HOME/.wine/drive_c/blablabla
>>>

>> Phil, the quotation marks are necessary because the path contains a
>>  space (C:\Program Files), and Linux considers a space the end of
>> the command unless it is either escaped (C:\\Program\ Files; the
>> extra "\" being an escape character to tell a Linux application
>> --which Wine is--that the character following the \ should be
>> considered part of the command. This is why the first forward slash
>> is escaped as well as the space, so that Linux can recognize it,
>> otherwise Wine would read the path as C:Program Files), or enclosed
>> in quotes (single or double), which tell a Linux application to use
>> the quoted command or path 'as is'.
>>

> Well, i'm starting all my apps with this command when working from
> the console :
>
> $ wine $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/WordView/WORDVIEW.EXE

 Right; you've escaped the space between "Program" and "Files", so Wine
 can pass an understandable (valid) path to Windows.

> So far I didnt' had any problem It's true that in some script I also
> use something like
>
> $ wine "c:\\Program Files\\WordView\\WORDVIEW.EXE" "/tmp/tempdoc.doc"

Right, because you've escaped the first forward slashes, so that Wine
recognizes that a forward slash is meant to be used 'as is', but because
you have not also escaped the space between "Program" and "Files", the
quotation marks are needed for the space to be recognized,  (although
I'm surprised that doesn't cause a problem with the escaped slashes,
since they would then be doubled. But maybe Windows doesn't care about
that, I don't know. I can see how that's possible, since the Windows
command line is deliberately stupid and will take just about anything so
that users don't have to be precise in telling it what to do). And of
course, the path to the doc is in quotes because it's a UNIX path (with
backslashes that Windows doesn't recognize, but Wine does), so on the
whole I can see how this works.

Myself, I don't put stuff in C:\\Program\ Files anyway, because typing
that whole path would make me insane-- especially with the necessity to
escape everything-- and plus I trained myself not to use it when I was
using Windows, since the C:\\ drive had to be reformatted far too often
for me to put up with my applications and data being lost every time it
did. And now, using Wine, that habit enables me to control space on my
partitions better, since all my Windows applications are not in /home
but on a dedicated partition (linked to d:), so I can always easily see
how much space said applications are taking up.

But that's just me, and off-topic from the actual problem, which is
likely unrelated to the escaping of the path to the application in any case.

Holly