[Wine] Re: What Windows apps stand in the way of switching to Linux at your shop?

drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 22:20:31 CDT 2005

> On 10/6/05, drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com
> <drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I just tested [Visual C++ 6.0] on the latest wine
> and on my setup it
> > worked only partially. The install failed
> completly
>
> Can you file a bug in wine bugzilla, please?
> Or at least add a comment to
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=31
>
> > so
> >  I copied an installed version from an XP install.
> > was able to get the GUI to work but it crashes at
> > random and the and it also freezes updates very
> easy
> > making it totally unusable for me.
>
> Sounds pretty bad.  Again, please note that either
> in Bugzilla or the Appdb.

I did some testing this evening and found that one of
the bugs was a result of a Microsoft bug that I have
seen quite a few times but the GUI reacted a little
different so I did not suspect it. This bug is
sometimes the .ncb file of a project gets corrupted
causing Visual Studio to hang with 100% cpu. The
difference in wine is that during the hang I can
resize the window but it does not correctly refresh.
After delting the .ncb file I was able to load my
workspace but had a path problem when I tried to
compile (probably nothing to do with wine again) so I
decided to try a simple test. I tried to create a new
win32 console application with mfc support. After the
final step in the appwizard the porgram hung. In the
terminal I launched msdev from there was the following
errors:

err:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x7fcf0000:
in-use arena 0x7e1fc348 next block has PREV_FREE flag
err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 180 bytes in
thread 0032 eip 7ffc1d36 esp 7fb00f4c stack
0x7fb00000-0x7fc00000

I would like install VC clean on windows and use this
clean copy to test to see if that makes any difference
before I start a bug report the only problem is that I
am just about out of space so that will have to wait
until I upgrade my system this weekend.

John