[Wine] Re: What Windows apps stand in the way of switching to Linux at your shop?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Oct 6 11:43:42 CDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:14:26AM -0700, drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com wrote:
> I just tested it on the latest wine and on my setup it
> worked only partially. The install failed completly so
>  I copied an installed version from an XP install. I
> was able to get the GUI to work but it crashes at
> random and the and it also freezes updates very easy
> making it totally unusable for me.  I did  not try the
> command line though.

When I worked at Microsoft, I wrote a lot of command line stuff in MS
C and C++. I used NT Emacs for my front end. Later, I wrote an article
on using Emacs as an IDE for Linux Journal.

I suspect that you could use your native *n*x emacs to run the command
line compiler and nmake via wine. I believe there is also a separate
command line program that runs the project files, so you might be able
to integrate that into emacs.

The only thing you would not get out of that is the code generation
that VC provides in the GUI builder.

You might also search Linux Journal's web site for an article I barely
recall on cross-development on Linux for Windows.

But this discussion leaves me wondering (seriously, I am not trolling)
why you want to use a non-ANSI compliant compiler. Other than 1)
"Corporate told me I had to.", 2) "That's what the customers
specified.", or 3) "To maintain legacy code." :-)