[Wine] Not able to use cdrom-drives

Aneurin Price wine at shadovald.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 11 08:17:09 CDT 2005

Gladiac Spark wrote:
> hi all
> i have problems configuring my cdrom-devices with winecfg. when i try
> to add it as d: with the mountpoint /media/cdrom0 and select to be a
> cdrom-device, click apply and restart winecfg it is shown as a
> disk-device. i also tried with different mountpoints and also the
> device /dev/hdd itselfs but it always ends in the same problem. Also
> the autoconfiguration thing does not work. It adds my cdrom-drive
> correctly with the correct mountpoint and selected it to be a
> cdrom-device but after restart of winecfg or running any other program
> that uses cdrom-drives the don't show up. did someone also have that
> problem, i don't get it done alone...

What version of Wine are you using? The registry branch that stores
whether a drive is an hd or a cdrom was marked as volatile a while back,
so it was never saved between invocations of Wine. This caused the
setting to be lost as soon as winecfg was closed. Try it with a current
version of Wine, and quite possibly a fresh configuration (ie. a new
.wine directory).
Failing that, post what you have in your registry under
HKLM/Software/Wine/drives (I have a key with name "D:", type "REG_SZ",
and data "cdrom").
Hope that helps,
Aneurin Price