[Wine] [ World of Warcraft ] The 1.8 Patch brings the target ( or targeting ) problem back

Eddahbi Karim thetemplar at free.fr
Wed Oct 12 16:16:05 CDT 2005

Hi,

It seems that the new 1.8 patch brings and old problem back. The problem
is :

It's impossible to target any world object without some
"tricks" [1] not always usable. This problem occured the first time with
the 1.5 patch. A lot of workarounds were given on the forum and,
finally,
the 2.6.12 kernel fixed the problem for a lot of people (like me).

Now the problem comes back but the workarounds don't work this time.
It's
not a regression, it's a bug enhancement.

The old workaround for WineX still work according to gentoo-forums [2].

If you have any idea on how to correct this problem, I would like to
hear
them.

System :
I'm using a Debian Etch with wine 20050725 compiled manually. I've a
2.6.12.4 configured manually. My old Debian 2.4 kernel (2.4.27) don't
fix
the problem either.

/lib/libc.so.6 returns this :
"
        GNU libio by Per Bothner
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
        NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
"

I've no mod installed.

[1]
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-246098.html

[2]

Tricks :
You can target NPC and monsters using the "V" button and
clicking on the life bar which appears on them. But this bar only
appears
if the monster is quite near. It doesn't work on real players.

You can target monster with the tab button. This way can be tricky since
it targets the monster which FACEs you. Not the nearest monster.

You can loot monsters only if you put the camera in a certain angle. Try
to advance a bit, zoom on the monster and look progressively at the sky
at
the same time. The cursor should change if you hit a certain angle.

Some mods can help you too if the 1.8 patch don't make them useless.

Regards,

--
Eddahbi Karim <thetemplar at free.fr>
Freelance