[Wine] Re: [ World of Warcraft ] The 1.8 Patch brings the target ( or targeting ) problem back

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Thu Oct 13 10:02:19 CDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:16:05 +0000, Eddahbi Karim wrote:
> Now the mouse problem comes back but the workarounds don't work this
> time. It's not a regression, it's a bug enhancement.
>
> The old workaround for WineX still work according to gentoo-forums [2].

It seems Warcraft relies upon NULL-addressed VirtualAlloc starting
allocation from above a certain range - possibly they're pulling some
silly bit-twiddling hack or optimisation. The Cedega patch linked to on
the forums basically hints to mmap that it should allocate at a fixed
address in this case:

  http://lists.transgaming.org/pipermail/winex-devel/2004-May/000259.html

Which for WoW they seem to set this hint to 256mb - is there some aspect
of the NT kernel we're not correctly implementing here? Does Windows
always allocate from 256mb upwards?

Alexandre, Mike - does hinting to mmap in the port library as TransGaming
do it seem like a good solution here or would it be better to adapt the
preloader to block off the lowest $X megs?

thanks -mike