[Wine] Re: dns name server under wine?

Rein Klazes wijn at wanadoo.nl
Mon Oct 24 05:25:18 CDT 2005

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:52:24 -0700, "Robertino Benis" <rbenis at airyz.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am newbe here, please forgive me for asking something that might be
>obvious to everybody.
>
>I've spend last few hours searching through google for "dns settings
>wine", "network settings wine", "nameserver wine" and through wine docs on
>winehq, couldn't find anything which would help me.

Lots, if not most, of applications would use  the winsock function
gethostbyname, which is handled by the Unix gethostbyname function.
That works fine ;)

>Problem: win32 app (which uses FQDNs, not plain IP addresses) cannot
>connect to the Internet when running on 'wine', and it seems that DNS
>query fails.

You think the app is doing the query itself?

>I've tried running nslookup.exe (win32 version, copied over from windows
>partition), and this is what I'm getting:

If I add the string registry value
HKLM\System\CurrentControlset\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DhcpNameServer
and fill it the IP address of a name server it works here.

A NT4 nslookup.exe worked immediately, a Win2K version only if I did set
the version to NT4.

Rein.