[Wine] Re: dns name server under wine?

Rein Klazes wijn at wanadoo.nl
Tue Oct 25 07:29:55 CDT 2005

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:50:47 -0700, you wrote:

Please CC the mailing list as I did.

Quoted in full for the list:

>On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:25:18 -0700, Rein Klazes <wijn at wanadoo.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:52:24 -0700, "Robertino Benis" <rbenis at airyz.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am newbe here, please forgive me for asking something that might be
>>> obvious to everybody.
>>>
>>> I've spend last few hours searching through google for "dns settings
>>> wine", "network settings wine", "nameserver wine" and through wine docs
>>> on
>>> winehq, couldn't find anything which would help me.
>>
>> Lots, if not most, of applications would use  the winsock function
>> gethostbyname, which is handled by the Unix gethostbyname function.
>> That works fine ;)
>>

>>> Problem: win32 app (which uses FQDNs, not plain IP addresses) cannot
>>> connect to the Internet when running on 'wine', and it seems that DNS
>>> query fails.
>>
>> You think the app is doing the query itself?
>>

>>> I've tried running nslookup.exe (win32 version, copied over from windows
>>> partition), and this is what I'm getting:
>>
>> If I add the string registry value
>> HKLM\System\CurrentControlset\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DhcpNameServer
>> and fill it the IP address of a name server it works here.
>>
>> A NT4 nslookup.exe worked immediately, a Win2K version only if I did set
>> the version to NT4.
>>
>> Rein.
>>

>Hi,
>
>Do you have any other reg key valuse there, besides DhcpNameServer?
>Setting up just that reg key didn't help. BTW,

I did run wine like:

WINEDEBUG=+relay wine /path/to/nslookup.exe 2>&1 | less

and looked in the output what it was doing. It is doing more, especially
if the value is not found. Some of that looks like security/permission
checks, it may not be that easy to decipher those. That is why the older
version of nslookup works easier, I think.

Because of the what nslookup works it is to be expected to do the low
level DNS queries itself. I am not convinced that an ordinary
application would go into this kind of trouble, they usually use some
high level api like winsock. But then, I do not know your app.

>ftp returns something like
>this:
>
>wine ftp.exe 192.168.0.11
>wine: Call from 0x1005184 to unimplemented function
>WS2_32.dll.getaddrinfo, aborting
>wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0009), starting debugger...
>Usage: winedbg [--auto] [--gdb] cmdline

Your winedbg registry set-up is out of date. It needs to be something
like ( ~/.wine/system.reg):

| [Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\AeDebug] 1102496326
| "Auto"="1"
| "Debugger"="winedbg %ld %ld"

>Wine failed with return code 1
>
>I don't quite understand how WS2_32.dll doesn't have getaddrinfo()? I
>copied it over from XP partition...

Because wine is using the built-in dll. No need to try native, the
winsock dll's cannot be used that way.  A patch to implement getaddrinfo
was sent yesterday is but is not committed yet.

Rein.