[Wine] Win98SE

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 26 00:33:11 CDT 2005

Łukasz Hejnak wrote:
> Gustavo Tomazi Ludwig napisal(a):
>
>> Can I run Win98SE in Wine?
>
> No, I don't think so, Wine just emulates the windows API, not the whole
> PC.. and that is what (afaik) You need to run W98
>
>> Wine is my last hope in playing that game...
>
> I think it's not, did You try VMware?
> It's a complete multiplatform PC emulator, where You can install any OS.
> It's a bit slower (but so is wine) but for older games on newer hardware
> it's just like it should be :]
> And I think it's still available on a GNU or slightly more limited, but
> still free-of-charge licence :]
> try www.vmware.com and of course google ;]

If you're going to spend money on something to run W98, get Win4Lin -
<http://www.win4lin.com/>. It runs Windows (including WXP) under Linux
and does a very good job of it. The version I have (Win4Lin 4) is MUCH
faster than VMware. I understand Win4Lin v5 is slower than the version I
have, they changed their emulation technology.

Re VMWare, the only "free" thing is their "player" for letting you run
an existing VMWare image without buying VMware. You still need VMware to
create the images in the first place.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com