[Wine] Re: wine overstepping the mark?

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 19:20:26 CDT 2005

The running of wine programs is not controlled by the mimetype but by a feature
of the linux kernel.

In /etc/init.d you might find a init script called wine. This script uses the
kernel modules binfmt_misc to tell the linux kernel that when it encounters a
file being executed with a special byte in the header to call it with wine. You
can disable this by disabling the wine init script. If you do this then you will
not be able to type notepad.exe and have it launch wine. You will actually have
to type wine notepad and assuming notepad is in your winepath then it will work.
 Otherwise you'll probably get a file not found error.

Using the binfmt_misc kernel module is 100% optional and is enabled to make
things easier for the normal user. If you don't want it, turn it off.

Kevin