[Wine] OT: Supporting mainframe terminal emulator activex controls in IE under Linux?

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 17:00:38 CDT 2005

[This is really just a post-it note to myself, but I'm cc'ing it to wine-users
in case it's useful to others.]

I was told recently that a company wanted to migrate
some desktops to Linux, but ended up not being able
to because they had a web-based application that
1) required IE, and
2) used an ActiveX control that implemented a 5250 terminal
    emulator to connect to a mainframe
They did get IE running in Wine, but the rendering of the
activeX control inside IE wasn't very good.
Another constraint is that he didn't want to pay anything (naturally).

After looking around a bit, I realized that using IE really
isn't an option if you don't want to pay anything.
So that means using another web browser, and rewriting their web
application to not depend on IE-isms, which he's going to hate.
Assuming he goes for that, the last problem is finding a 5250 terminal emulator
that runs in a web browser and which can be scripted.
There seem to be a few options:

GPL:
http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net/

commercial:
http://www.ctc-core.com/demos/demos.htm
http://www.attachmate.com/en-US/Products/Reflection/Technical+Specifications/Reflection+for+the+Web

Whew, there might actually be a free software route
if he's willing to adapt his software.