[Wine] Re: Re: Internet Explorer and wine 20050930

Jonathan Ernst Jonathan at ErnstFamily.ch
Mon Oct 31 10:27:08 CST 2005

Le lundi 31 octobre 2005 à 15:48 +0000, dan a écrit :
> Have you tred IEs 4 linux?
>
> http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/
>
> <quote>
> IEs for Linux is a simple Bash Script program that installs Internet
> Explorer 6, 5.5 and 5 on Linux using Wine. The whole process is
> automatic and very easy.
> </quote>
>
> The only problem I had was the long download time...! IE6, 5.5, and 5
> all work fine, no problems at all.

You can take a look at IE's AppDB entry it has all these informations
and even more:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=469

> On 31/10/05, Olive <olive.lin at versateladsl.be> wrote:
> > What I don't understand is that I think that all change made by
> > codeweavers to the wine libraries are covered by the LGPL licence, so I
> > ask the question why wine can't just work as good as crossover.
> >
> > Olive
> >

> If wine worked as good as crossover, crossover would be out of
> business. And I dont think they put all their changes back into wine;
> if they do why would they publish a list of contributions?
>
> http://www.codeweavers.com/about/community/contributions/

Please don't speak about things that you don't know about. Crossover
office's source code is available for everyone:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/source/

Most people working on Wine are paid by Crossover and most patches are
first sent to Wine and then only integrated in Crossover.

The difference between Wine and Crossover is that Crossover has a list
of supported applications and thus accept workarounds and dirty hacks to
make these application work where Wine only accept code that look
correct. You will find that (maybe) more applications work under Wine
than Crossover but that Crossover is more good at making the supported
applications work.
--
Jonathan Ernst <Jonathan at ErnstFamily.ch>