[Wine] WINE ALSA MIDI

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Mon Sep 5 06:36:51 CDT 2005

dwaynec schreef:
> Hello, I am having trouble with wine and midi, and also the new
> winecfg vs config file setup. I have looked through old emails faqs
> etc and on frank's corner but nothing seems to be able to get the
> midi output out of wine and onwards towards my soundcard. The program
> I am having trouble with is called Power tab. I am running 'timidity
> -iA' with a GM soundfont and confirm that it is working by hooking it
> up to rosegarden, my ALSA setup is also in good order. When I start
> powertab 'wine ..PTEditor' it works fine, it will even let me choose
> from a list of midi devices: Sound card, timidity , timidity etc. But
> no matter which one I choose I cannot get the midi to play. It looks
> like it should be working.  I have read the page on Multimedia
> configuration in the developers guide but am having trouble  working
> ou what to do next .  Also when I check  in the registry  the
> following values are not present :
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\MIDIMap
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Midi\Schemes\%name_of_scheme%
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Midi\Ports\%driver_name%
>

> though they are listed on that page. Also here is my output from the
> setpup program for powertab.
>
> fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED Standard Action
> L"CCPSearch" fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED Standard
> Action L"RMCCPSearch" fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED
> Standard Action L"ValidateProduc tID" fixme:msi:ACTION_CostFinalize
> cost should be diff in size fixme:msi:msi_dialog_pathedit_control not
> implemented properly err:msi:msi_dialog_create_controls no handler
> for element type L"ProgressBar" fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction
> UNHANDLED Standard Action L"CCPSearch"
> fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED Standard Action
> L"RMCCPSearch" fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED
> Standard Action L"ValidateProduc tID"
> fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED Standard Action
> L"SetODBCFolders " fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED
> Standard Action L"RemoveExisting Products"
> fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED Standard Action
> L"AllocateRegist rySpace" fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction
> UNHANDLED Standard Action L"MsiUnpublishAs semblies"
> fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED Standard Action
> L"UnpublishCompo nents" fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction
> UNHANDLED Standard Action L"UnpublishFeatu res"
> fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED Standard Action
> L"UnregisterComP lus" fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED
> Standard Action L"SelfUnregModul es"
> fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction UNHANDLED Standard Action
> L"UnregisterType Libraries" fixme:msi:ACTION_HandleStandardAction
> UNHANDLED Standard Action L"RemoveODBC"
> [...]

I would also be interested in knowing how to get MIDI output in Wine,
for a completely different reason (maybe the difference will help
highlight where the problem actually lies).

I'm running a game, Lose Your Marbles (available as abandonware from
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2538 ). The game installs and
runs fine, and sound effects play (they're *.wav)-- but the level music
(which is *.mid) does not. I tested and the files themselves are fine (I
also have Timidity installed and running, and the *.mid files play fine
using XMMS's Timidity plugin).

I can't even say so much as Dwayne as to whether incorrect entries are
being added to the Registry in this case (I would doubt it, though), but
my (possibly completely unfounded) impression is that while previous
versions of Wine could access Timidity (or so I've heard), this one
(20050830, but I've been trying to get music out of this game for 4-6
months) cannot. Perhaps there's a setting I need to change (like the
midimap.drv) to allow Wine to use Timidity, but

1) that setting cannot be configured in winecfg;
2) if I attempted to change it in Wine's Registry, I wouldn't know what
to change it to.

Unlike Dwayne, I don't think my program is "broke"; I think either Wine is
broke or my config is broke, but I don't know which, how to fix it, and
of course, we are both experiencing the same effect that we don't have
MIDI sound in Wine apps.

So I'd appreciate any light shed on this matter as well (even though
mine is obviously not a mission-critical issue, unlike Dwayne's).

Thanks,
Holly