[Wine] The Wine project needs YOU to help triage bugs!

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 16:10:21 CDT 2005

On 9/25/05, Dan Kegel <daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  http://kegel.com/wine/qa
> >    I'd be a very enthusiastic contributor to this if there was any
> > chance that the things I worked on would be looked at by the
> > developers. ... I've filled out bug
> > reports before and they've seemingly dropped into a black hole...
> >    So, to be positive about the idea, which I like and support, how do
> > we do work that ends up getting addressed?
>
> That's a very good question.
>
> The best answer I can give at the moment is: focus on
> install problems.  Mike McCormack pledged in
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2005-September/040041.html
> to fix any bugs in Wine related to MSI installer problems
> (and I think most recent apps use MSI in their installer).
>
> Does that help enough for now?
> Perhaps I can find a more satisfying answer later.
> - Dan

Dan,
   Satisfiying enough to get me to read through your Wine QA page. Two
questions come to mind for me. Possibly you can respond back with your
views and update the web page if appropriate:

1) I run Gentoo. Is installation through portage OK for this task, or
do you feel it very important to install from a tarball? In the case
of Wine I know of no differences between the two, but possibly there
are patches dded that I don't know about. Extend this to other distro
installers, RPMs, etc., as you see fit. Unless I hear differently I'll
likely use portage.

2) I happen to be typing this back on an AMD64 machine that has
Wine-20050725 installed, but I do not know if Wine is really supported
on a 64-bit machine running a 64-bit kernel. What are the issues here?
Emulation libraries? Other things which are Windows related? I don't
know. Please give guidance. I do have a much slower 32 bit machine
which is available to do this work.

   All for now. Off to look through the bug database.

- Mark