[Wine] The Wine project needs YOU to help triage bugs!

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 18:03:20 CDT 2005

On 9/25/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) I run Gentoo. Is installation through portage OK for this task, or
> do you feel it very important to install from a tarball?

Portage is probably ok as long as it's as up to date as
the latest source tarball.  i.e. if the latest source tarball
is 20050823, but portage is stuck on 20050615, you probably
want to go with the source tarball.  I'll update the web page
after I figure out good wording.

> 2) I happen to be typing this back on an AMD64 machine that has
> Wine-20050725 installed, but I do not know if Wine is really supported
> on a 64-bit machine running a 64-bit kernel. What are the issues here?
> Emulation libraries? Other things which are Windows related? I don't
> know. Please give guidance. I do have a much slower 32 bit machine
> which is available to do this work.

It depends.  You should be able to run a 32 bit version of
Wine just fine as long as your system has support for
32 bit apps in userland.  (Debian doesn't, but most 64 bit distros do.)

So try the 64 bit system first, it might just work.
- Dan