[Wine] BriscCAD - Installation and problems

richard richard at sheugh.com
Tue Apr 18 06:18:38 CDT 2006

Hi All,

I am running Debain|testing, and have a problem with BricsCAD.

I downloaded the rpm from http://www.bricscad.com,
and used alien to convert to a deb. All seemed ok, but a doubleclick
on the icon gave no result. With everything installed, I could read
the readme. The definitive statement appeared to be:
"This version will not run with WINE releases older than
september 2005"

I installed WINE ver 0.9.9, and when it complained about not
finding the C: directory I restored my old Win98 installation and
ran sol.exe. (I hear that this should not be necessary, so my
problems may have been due to a legacy configuration)

BricsCAD still failed. So I symlinked icad.dll.so into
/usr/lib/wine. Different failure - see below

I have since read some history on this at
http://www.kegel.com/wine/isv/#case-studies, at on winehq.
There seems to be no certainty on how to install and run recent
versions of BricsCAD ( newer than Sept 2005) - any advice will be
welcomed.

Richard

Invoking /usr/lib/wine/wine.bin icad.exe.so ...
err:winspool:AddPrinterW Printername L"Stylus Color 900 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc2-1" must not exceed length of DEVMODE.dmDeviceName !
err:winspool:CUPS_LoadPrinters printer 'Stylus Color 900 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc2-1' not added by AddPrinterA (error 124)
Wine exited with a successful status