[Wine] Re: Sum-up: Re-proposal: web forums

Philippe A. futhark77 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 17:49:32 CDT 2006

> > The 'category' thing sounds tricky to implement on top of a mailing
> > list (as I would like it)...
> Yes, categories are nice.

Sorry for sneaking into the conversation again.

When I saw the Wine Wiki, I was disappointed that the app db wasn't
integrated into it. It seemed like the thing to do, from a functional
standpoint.

It seems to me the appdb already regroups much of the categories you would
end up opening in a forum. How would categories be organized inside forum?
Would you open a new category for each tested app? Would you concentrate all
app conversations into a single category? I hope not! But how to strike the
right balance? I think a Wiki does it by its nature. It is quite organic.
Content gets created on the spot, when needed, and evolves in place.

If you want more categories, I suggest to expand the Wiki and merge the app
db into it. Debates can stay in the mailing list. Information gets
distillated in the WIki.

This is yet another suggestion coming from a person that's totally
independant from the project. I enjoy the easy role of offering radical
suggestions.