[Wine] Re: Memory Use

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Thu Apr 27 10:15:11 CDT 2006

CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

> Ah, yes, I understand now.  The question is now whether to have any other
> programs running when I use wine.
>
> Ordinarily here is what my system is doing:

Nothing really jumps out at me there.

> I have all the different screens sitting there ready to be used.  Maybe if I
> were running a 2+ Ghz dual processor mobo it would be better?  I built this
> 750 Mhx box a few years ago and have grown attached to it ... but will look
> for any excuse to build another "really fast box".   How about 4 GB RAM and
> 3.5Ghz dual processor mobo??

Oh well, 750MHz is a bit slow these days (though it was fast not so long
ago ;), so I don't know how much that will impact things. Actually,
unless there is a good reason for it, the AMD Sempron motherboards can
be obtained cheap these days (at least in the US). They run fast, and
even (relatively) cool and quietly. I highly recommend them unless you
really have a strong need for maximum processing power. If your disc
drive is from the 750MHz era, spend the extra money to replace that too.