[Wine] Re: Wine is very slow

Exeter Exeter at abz.invalid
Sat Apr 29 12:01:30 CDT 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:41:36 +0200, Molle Bestefich wrote:

> Exeter wrote:
>> If you don't like attitude why post in usenet?
>> It's not like this is a mailing list.
>
> Rating: +4, funny :)

No not really.  Why does winehq feel that they can take over a
usenet group to propigate their posts?  If they want a forum let
them set up their own.  If they want to tell usenet users of the
forum let them post a weekly message.  If they want to send their
responders posts out to the world at least let them know they are
now posting in usenet.

> David Shaw wrote:
>> The kind of totally unprovoked abuse which we were
>> commenting on does not demonstrate either moral, technical or
>> evolutionary superiority over the rest of us mere mortals - rather, it
>> simply demonstrates superior ignorance
>
> OTOH, unprovoked abuse and superior ignorance CAN be funny.
> It's fun to watch and it's fun to do (for fun, not if you ARE
> ignorant), and as long as the other party agrees to it, it's no harm
> either, except for the spam factor for those that do not think it's
> fun to watch.
>
> I'm not defending Segin here - his comments were totally uncalled for.
>
> I'm saying that I did like the old FidoNet way of doing things.
> You would have discussion forums for this and that, and then you'd
> have a special "flames" subcategory where heated discussions and
> unprovoked attacks were deferred.
>
> An argument starts getting heated?  Everyone else just said "take it
> to flames" and off they go.  Either ends up with them agreeing, or a
> major flamefest.  In cases where it ends in flamefest, it's rather fun
> to watch (or even join) if you're in that mood.  The end result is
> that nobody has to deal with emotional buildup - you can let
> everything out in .flames.
>
> (There was of course also those that didn't subscribe to .flames - in
> those cases, when people said "take it to flames", the argument would
> per definition just end there with an "ok, nuff said" or something.
> Nobody actually carried it on, since everyone understood that personal
> attacks belonged there.)

So this is what usenet needs.  A group that did not have flames
having flames brought to them by a "private subscription" mailing
list.