[Wine] Wine + serial port basically hangs system

Dan Armbrust daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 16:50:13 CDT 2006

I'm trying to use Wine to run a program called heavy weather - its a
windows only program that interfaces with a weather station that I
have through a serial port.

I was able to get the program up and running with wine.  Then, I
couldn't get it to connect at all to the weather station.

After much too long, I finally realized that the problem was that my
permissions on /dev/ttyS0 were too restrictive - I change them, and
now the program connects up, and pulls in data.

The next problem, however, is that as soon as I start the program, the
system load starts to skyrocket.  5, 6, 7... and climbing.  Soon, the
mouse starts to become jerky, and its hard to change windows.  Within
about 2 minutes, the mouse doesn't work at all, and remote terminals
stop responding.  The system load is up in the 40s.

As soon as I unplug the serial cable, everything goes back to normal.

Here is some information that is being kicked out to the command line:

fixme:comm:SetupComm insize 1298 outsize 1298 unimplemented stub
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x5204ac84 "loader.c:
loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0025, blocked by 0024,
retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x685f8f58 "?" wait timed
out in thread 000a, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x685f8f58 "?" wait timed
out in thread 000a, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)

And that error continues until I unplug the serial port.

Any suggestions?  Why is this serial port traffic bringing the entire
system down?  Its not a very fast computer, but, this it shouldn't
take much processing power for this...

Thanks,

Dan