[Wine] Wine + serial port basically hangs system

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Sun Apr 30 06:27:57 CDT 2006

In article <mailman.94.1146347414.7241.wine-users at winehq.org> you wrote:
> The next problem, however, is that as soon as I start the program, the
> system load starts to skyrocket.  5, 6, 7... and climbing.  Soon, the
> mouse starts to become jerky, and its hard to change windows.  Within
> about 2 minutes, the mouse doesn't work at all, and remote terminals
> stop responding.  The system load is up in the 40s.

Could you check in what part of the system the processing power is
mostly spent? I.e. user/system/waiting...

> fixme:comm:SetupComm insize 1298 outsize 1298 unimplemented stub
> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x5204ac84 "loader.c:
> loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0025, blocked by 0024,
> retrying (60 sec)
> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x685f8f58 "?" wait timed
> out in thread 000a, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x685f8f58 "?" wait timed
> out in thread 000a, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)

Those RtlpWaitForCriticalection are signs of a race condition, usually
caused by the fact that wine sometimes has to go about things in a
rather roundabout way. It could for example be that your program uses
one thread to read the serial port and another for the main program. Now
if those two threads are competing for a lock/semaphore/whatever the
result could be what you are seeing.
Another possibility is that some other program is trying to read from
ttyS0 as well.

Daniel