[Wine] Re: Two issues with Diablo II

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 07:56:01 CDT 2006

Colin Kern wrote:
> The first is that the sound is delayed about a second from the events
> that trigger them.  I am actually having this problem outside of
> Diablo.  I am using the ALSA drivers.

Sound is not particularly delayed using ALSA on my systems, but
there's heavy (= once a second or so) sound corruption.

There's a practical existing solution to the sound problem, but
AJ (wine über boss) is very stubborn about not letting it into
the sources for some reason.  Perhaps because of some highly
hypothetical security issue, or perhaps there's a better reason
lurking somewhere.

There might be a theoretical (other) technical solution to the
problem, but it seems noone is aware of any, at least noone
has implemented any.

There's an unmaintained patch floating around somewhere which should
fix things, if you can get it to apply etc.

> The other is that while the 'alt' key is held down, mouse clicks do
> not work.  In the game, you can hold alt to see the names of items
> that are on the floor.  Running normally on Windows, you can then
> click on the names to pick them up, so that you don't have to hunt for
> the pixels that make up the tiny item laying on the ground.  You could
> also move around (by clicking) while the 'alt' key was held down.
> Under Wine, mouse clicks have no effect while I am holding down the
> 'alt' key.

Yeah, I've been annoyed by this bug too.

Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes wrote:
> Hold down the Shift-key as well.

Thanks for the hint.

I'm confused, though - why ?!